Lets with Pets

Finding privately rented accommodation that allows pets can be very difficult. Many pet owners are forced to live in unsuitable properties or keep their pets without consent from their landlord. In some extreme cases, we know that owners are even having to give up their pets or else face becoming homeless.

Home Lettings Scotland offer many pet friendly properties under the Lets with Pets initiative.

Pet Policy

If your landlord has agreed to permit you to have pets,  a pet clause will be included in your tenancy agreement.   The amendment will refer to a comprehensive pet policy which can will be incorporated as a schedule to the tenancy agreement.

View our Pet Policy here

Pet Deposit

Insurance policies, such as contents insurance and landlords insurance, will not cover any damage caused by pets to property or furnishings.

Tenants will be required to pay for a higher deposit to cover any damage that may be caused by their pets. For example, we normally ask for the equivalent of four weeks rent as a standard deposit, pet owners will be required to pay six weeks.

The money will be held in a recognised deposit scheme and only used to repair damage caused to the property/furnishings or to replace damaged items or cleaning.

The Government has contracted three companies to run tenancy deposit protection schemes. Further details about the schemes can be found at www.direct.gov.uk pet payment.

Pet Information Form

If you have given permission to keep a pet in your property, it’s advisable to get as much information as possible about your pet before you move in.

Keeping a record of the pets that live the property will provide us with important information, such as the contact details of someone who can care for them in case of an emergency. Please complete the Pet Information form.

Pet Information Form

Pet Reference

Prospective tenants will need to provide us with a reference for their pet from a previous landlord.

If they have not rented with their pets before, you could ask for a reference from their veterinary surgeon but we do understand that there may be some circumstances in which tenants cannot provide a reference.

The keys points that you should ask to be covered in a pet reference from a previous landlord are:

  • How long did the tenant live in the previous property with their pets?
  • Which pets did they own at that time?
  • Does the referee consider the tenant to be a responsible pet owner?
  • Were the tenant’s pets well behaved?
  • Did their pets cause any damage to the property?
  • Did their pets cause a nuisance to neighbours or visitors?


If the reference is to be provided by a veterinary surgeon, it should cover the following points:

  • Are the tenant’s pets generally well behaved?
  • Does the veterinary surgeon consider the tenant to be a responsible pet owner?
  • Does the tenant provide routine preventive health care, such as vaccinations and flea treatments, for their pets (when appropriate)


Scottish Association of Landlords

The Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL) represents the interests of all landlords and letting agents throughout Scotland and provides information, training and advice direct to its members and through its local branch network.

Lets with Pets is working with SAL to provide advice and practical guidance for landlords renting homes to pet owners.

Website design and hosting by SME Professional